Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Total Church


I can't remember how in the world I came across this book, but man, am I ever thankful that the Lord saw fit to get it in my hands, and I'm not even finished with it yet! Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis has revolutionized my thinking on "Community" and specifically how the Gospel and Community should be intertwined.

In this book, they articulate that "the church exists both through the Gospel and for the Gospel and that as a result we should be asking questions like these:
  • "We ask, 'Where does God fit into the story of my life?', when the real question is, 'Where does my little life fit into this great story of God's Mission?"
  • "We want to be driven by a purpose that has been tailored just right for our own individual lives, when we should be seeing the purpose of all life, including our own, wrapped up in the great mission of God for the whole of creation."
  • "We talk about 'applying the Bible to our lives." What would it mean to apply our lives to the Bible instead, assuming the Bible to be the reality- the real story- to which we are called to conform ourselves?"
  • "I may wonder what kind of mission God has for me, when I should be asking what kind of me God wants for his mission."

They discuss that within our America context, we compartmentalize all of our responsibilities with "Christianity" being one of those many responsibilities, but not different in functionality than any of the others. As a result, we see being a Christian the same as we see being an employee. We check in and check out when our daily/weekly responsibilities are complete. In other words, we're a "Christian" during our church event time and then we are who we "really are" when we leave for "our" time. On contrary, however, they argue that Christianity is our very identity. It is who we are. As a result, we don't hang up our "Christianity" when we leave church events, however we are "Christian" in the roles that God has given us as an employee, father, husband, church member, co-worker, friend, etc. They state, "The vast majority of Christians have not been helped to see that who they are and what they do every day in schools, workplaces, or clubs is significant to God, nor that the people they spend time with in those everyday contexts are the people God is calling them to pray for, bless and witness to."

I was blessed to learn that being "Christian" is our very identity from one of my professors in school and I've been trying my best to teach that within my current context, however what blew my mind was how this related to "Community". They rightly articulate that the people of God are just that, "a people", called by God for a purpose greater than themselves. They state, "We are not saved individually and then choose to join the church as if it were some club or support group, but rather Christ dies for His people, and we are saved when by faith we become a part of that people for whom Christ died...My being in Christ means being in Christ with those who are in Christ... To fail to live out our corporate identity in Christ is analogous with the act of adultery."

Whoa! I don't know about you, but that quickly snapped my head back! You see, naturally and what many folks don't realize about me, is that I'm an introverted person and so my tendency is to move away from people rather than toward people, unless we're talking about the Gospel. As a result, I tend to want to be around people when "it's time to be around people" ie during church events and/or when I'm working, etc. but then I don't want to be around people when "it's not time to be around people." Now, I would not express this in my theology of the church, however in functionality this way of thinking leads to a reality of life with the same end as the compartmentalization of our lives into categories of responsibility and as a result, a lack of true biblical community which God intends for His people and me as an individual of that people.

Now, there's another element to this as well and that's the management of my energy which I've got to be very careful to keep in check. As an introvert, people drain me of that energy. Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that I don't love people, because I do truly love people, however being around people naturally drains me of my energy rather than fueling me. So the question for myself and for other introverts out there is, "How do we open our lives up to true biblical community where being "Christian" is our identity every moment of our lives and still maintain personal energy levels so that we can dynamically invest in God's people with the gifts that He's given us to do so?" This is a tough question, because people are everywhere we go and I don't think there is a quick fix solution that I can offer here other than to say we must plan to refuel. Whether that's a day trip to the mountains or ocean, a hike into the woods, or a run where it's just us, God, and the pavement, we must plan to refuel. If we do not, then Satan will use a good thing, ministering to people, to run us into the ground and keep us from the best thing, energetically, passionately, and dynamically making authentic disciples of Jesus who make authentic disciples Jesus with all that we are and all that we have to the glory of God.

For all you introverts out there, how do you believe we can keep the two components of the question above in check? I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, successes.

In Christ,
JR



2 comments:

Channa said...

Interesting points made in this post, JR. I hope you don't mind me chiming in! I have two thoughts, but first I want to say that I'm an extrovert with some introvert tendancies. But, my husband is an introvert so I do understand the needs of personal space, and time to just be still and quiet. I need these things too, but for different reasons (to recalibrate my "filter," make sure I have self control, and collect my thoughts so I don't do or say something stupid).

My first thought in regards to your question was the word that Pastors LOVE to throw around..."Koinonia." The ultimate word for community. I looked it up on Wikipedia and I like this sentence..."The essential meaning of the koinonia embraces concepts conveyed in the English terms community, communion, joint participation, sharing and intimacy." I think those last 2 words mean the most to me when I think of what it means to be a community; sharing and intimacy. Sharing life together (friendship), and intimacy in those friendships is one of my favorite things about Church community. I could spend a large amount of time in corporate worship or doing corporate Church "stuff," but it would seem empty without having intimate connections with my fellow believers and Church members.

My second thought was...I know Jesus took time to be alone. So I googled "did Jesus take time off." That led me to a website called justbetweenus.org. It's a faith based website for women. There I found this article (http://justbetweenus.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=90298) that showed me several times when Jesus just needed to be alone. We all need to refuel in order to give our best when we are together. Introverts need time away to refuel, and extroverts need time away so that we don't drive all the introverts crazy!

To keep it in check I like the ideas of one day a week being your own personal Sabbath, and scheduling time every day to spend maybe 15-30 minutes alone. I also think that if Jesus was in the flesh today he'd be all over social media and the internet. It is a community in itself. Thank you for spending some of your refueling time to share on your blog. You have helped me in my walk with Christ; And isn't that the number one goal of Biblical community... to point others to Christ? I say well done, introvert, and I look forward to your next post Pastor JR!

JR Isham said...

Alright Channa! I promised you that I'd get back to you and today is the day! :)

First, let me say thank you for your encouraging words to our family. God truly does use the Body of Christ to minister to each other. Many people only see ministry coming from one direction, the pastor to God's people, but man, I can't tell you how great of an encouragement it is to me when I see people truly running after Jesus as a result of God's working in and through me. Also, a lot of times as a pastor you feel like you're just throwing pennies into the ocean making very little impact at all, but when you see God using it in the lives of people, you get fired up and it spurs you on to do more and more. So thank you for ministering to me and my family.

In regard to the article, I think your thoughts are right on. True community is essential in reaching the lost. Jesus did say in John 12:35 that "the world will know that you are my disciples by your love for one another." The bottom line for is that I think my heart just need to change in regard to the way that I think about community. I used think about community as in what happens on a Sunday morning at church whether the main service or Sunday School, but now I see that community is much more than that...It's all of life. What I haven't wrapped my mind around yet, is what that practically looks like in everyday life as an introvert. But I'm so thankful that the Lord's opened my eyes and helped me see there needs to be a change.

Jesus did withdrawal and withdrawal often when the crowds would come, and as I'm thinking about it as I type, I believe (but need to research it more) Jesus withdrew to be with the Father. So maybe that withdrawal isn't so much about personal fulfillment as it is about being with the Father and through being with the Father, seeing people and community the way He sees them which would spur your on all the more to progress the Gospel in their lives. I'm not sure, but I think I'm on to something. Now if I could ever just get some time to track that down, I might find an answer! :)

Again thank you for your encouraging words and I'm thankful to God that He saw fit to cross our families paths. Maybe we'll get to hang out here in a month or so when we get to K-town. Until then, may God continue to richly bless the Brillante's!

In Christ,
JR